Possibly the Coolest Career Ever – Optician
How about we skip right ahead to the important details? Our small business is located downtown Chamberlain, South Dakota. We are biased — but we are pretty sure we are the coolest place to work for. We get to help people see for a living! Like most places of employment, the job is not all roses and puppy dogs — there is some good news and there is some bad news.
Let’s get the bad news out of the way first:
- You won’t get rich at this job. However, we offer above minimum wage for new hires, even without any optometry office experience. Benefits, raises, and bonuses are also part of our culture here. Plus, there are plenty of good things to make up for a job that won’t make you millions.
The good stuff:
- The work is fun, fresh and dynamic. You will be working side-by-side the best optician you will ever find. You will learn the ins and outs of the eye care industry and taking care of patients.
- We aren’t big on stress. So, while we will expect you to work efficiently and get things done, we focus on open communication. You will work independently for certain tasks, as well as part of the team for others.
- The hours are great! We are open Monday through Friday from 8am-5pm and the occasional Saturday morning. No holidays! You will also be on a rotating schedule to get a 3-day weekend! Need to take off early to catch a game? We will try to make it happen for you.
- After a year of employment with us, you get retirement benefits. Heck yeah, you read that right! All of our employees who have worked here for 1 year+ can start a matching 401k. Chaching!!
- Paid leave and paid holidays! And health insurance benefits! Yes, this stuff might be boring but, hey, it does come in handy!
Next: Job requirements:
- We are looking for the type person who gets joy out of getting things done. Every day, you will be tasked with a list of responsibilities. Fun stuff, important stuff and necessary stuff. You will assist our patients with choosing the best frame for them and even lenses based on the doctor’s recommendation. This position requires assistance with maintaining and repairing broken or damaged framed that our patients bring in.
- You will be on the computer. So, an understanding of Windows, email, navigating the web, and other computer-based stuff will be necessary. We also have an electronic medical record that we will train you how to use.
- We are looking for someone who loves to deliver remarkable experiences to other people. You know, someone who feels good by making other people feel good.
- We need someone attentive to detail. You won’t need to race through work and get things half done (we figured that one out ourselves). We’d prefer you to slow things down and get them done right.
- In short, your job is to help people with their glasses and to have fun while you are doing it. Our office is casual, but we do expect professionalism and punctuality. What we don’t expect is perfection or existing skills for you to qualify for this job. We can teach you what you need to know to be successful here. We expect intelligence, energy, and a ‘get it done’ attitude.
If this is a job that gets you so excited that you would even do it for free, we would accept that offer from you. But if you prefer compensation (and we totally get it…we prefer getting paid as well) this is what we offer: This is a full-time, 40 hours per week position. In addition to being a detailed person, you must follow systems and processes. In fact, just to prove that you are detailed oriented and can follow procedures, when you apply for this position in the subject line of the email you must include “I have found my type of peeps” in the subject line. Yep, that’s our little trick to sort out the people who blanket send their resume to anyone and everyone, from the folks (that’s you) who are truly interested in this position. We are looking to bring our new colleague on board as soon as possible, but we will spend the necessary time to find the best fit both in abilities and culturally. We can’t wait to meet you!!
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org